The Star Wars Writing Process

2013%2f05%2f04%2fcb%2fstarwarslif-3c26e

The last few days during our interim practice SBAC exams, I took the afternoons to focus on giving some practical life advice and informational writing structures to my students. We began by reading the article entitled, 10 Things We Learned from Star Wars, and having a class discussion about these particular life lessons. Next we continued by creating a hand plan by using the strategies by Wilda Storm:

img_6159

The beauty of the hand plan is that it is easy to remember and accessible for students to use as a tool when it comes to writing any form of essay. We continued our writing process the following day by introducing the concepts of establishing the 4 E’s (Evidence, Explanation, Example, and Elaboration) after writing the introduction and conclusion. img_3659

img_5306

img_5475

Please leave a comment on the blogs of my students, and continue to encourage them as writers. Many of them haven’t been pushed this much, and I’m attempting to balance the “force” of how much they can handle as I see them grow. May the force be with you! – Mr. Garcia